Week 91 - Domino's Pizza in Italy

by 9:52 PM 0 comments
I had to chuckle a little bit this past Monday when I watched
one of the young men in our ward get set apart and start his mission
experience. Before he was set apart, he was having an interview with
the stake president in the bishop's office and we were waiting in the
lobby of the church building with his family and girlfriend. Let me
tell you, the lobby was a solemn place! His mom was crying and his
girlfriend and dad had very straight faces! After the interview, the
boy walked out of the bishop's office and told his girlfriend to
follow him. They walked into a nearby room and the next thing I know,
I was listening to a very thirsty dog drink out of his water bowl.
....The boy was getting in a literal last-minute smoocheroo. ;) After
a minute or so, the dog's thirst was quenched. The boy and his
girlfriend walked out of the room and then he was set-apart! Hahaha!
😂 All joking aside, I'm so glad he chose to serve a mission; he's
going to be a killer missionary.

Earlier this week, we went to Milan to do a companionship exchange
with the assistants! It was a ton of fun seeing my old stomping ground
again. The Allens weren't in Milan that day, but I got to see the
Hoopes and eat a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie from Sorella
Hoopes! I also got to teach a really cool new convert with one of the
AP's and then see my companion eat Domino's pizza for the first time
in his life. Italian pizza is bomb, but American pizza isn't bad
either. Anziano Montalto was originally thinking that the restaurant
should be burned down upon seeing a Hawaiian pizza on the menu.
"Putting pineapple on a pizza is an abomination!" Then, he ate a slice
of pepperoni pizza. "This is one of the best pizzas I've eaten in my
life!"

Work here in Rimini is going really well! We've been calling old
potentials and old investigators and have seen a lot of success from
it. We have taught the message of the restoration many times this
week! A lot of the men we've seen are refugees from Africa and they
are some of the coolest, most humble men you'll ever meet! On Sunday,
Daniel (our new convert) brought one of his friends Courage to church
with him. We had a lesson with them yesterday and it went great. I
love teaching with Daniel because he has the new-convert fire! 🔥

We are starting our Italian class this Saturday for all of our English
speaking friends and we are very excited. Some of my favorite nights
in the mission were in Livorno at our African family home evenings.
There's something magical that happens when you get a lot of African
men together. Hopefully my Italian teaching ability will be better
than my duck duck goose playing ability or we might be in for some
trouble on Saturday (the Africans in Livorno always kicked my butt at
duck duck goose 😂).

Do you guys remember the classic quote, "People do not really care how
much you know until they know how much you care."? We were in a lesson
earlier this week with a less-active member of the church and it
popped into my head. Anziano Montalto and I have really good teaching
unity and the people we teach usually respond really well to us. But,
during this lesson, it was like we were teaching a brick wall. The
less active member was not opening up to us and didn't seem to care
about a word that was coming out of our mouth. However, after the
lesson, we offered to buy him a gelato and he readily agreed. It was
really cool to see this man's whole demeanor change all because of a
little gelato. It was a nice reminder for me to show love to the
people around me.

I was vigorously using my red scripture marking pencil earlier this
week when reading Mosiah 23. Verses 21 and 22 hit me in a powerful
way. Sometimes life feels like sunshine and smiles, but there are
other times where it seems like we're on the way to brother Job's
house! I love seeing that although we can be doing everything that
we're supposed to be doing, there is suffering that is part of our
journey here on this little blue planet. When we hold close to Jesus
Christ during our suffering, we are elevated. If we don't, we can't
progress and deprive ourselves of his power. I had an experience this
week that allowed me to reflect on Jesus Christ's last 24 hours on
earth with greater appreciation. Jesus Christ is our Savior and he is
the way to eternal life. I know that sometimes we don't get
everything, but that's okay. We don't need to. This is the true church
of Jesus Christ and I know there is peace that come when we follow our
prophets no matter what circumstance we find ourselves in.

I love you guys,
Anziano Anderson

p.s. The church released a new 10 part video series called Mormon
Beliefs. The videos are great! You should check them out when you have
a minute. :)

1. Anziano Montalto have been eating peanut butter and jelly
sandwiches everyday because we found an African store that sells
ghetto peanut butter for cheap!
2. Before...
3. ...After (arancini are literally the best food in the entire world)
4. Sitting in my old chair ❤️
5. Dante's tomb
6. Making my Italian companion feel embarrassed by being a dumb
American and posing in front of the "leaning tower" 😂
7-10. Pretty Catholic churches :)
11. P-day squad












Unknown

Developer

Cras justo odio, dapibus ac facilisis in, egestas eget quam. Curabitur blandit tempus porttitor. Vivamus sagittis lacus vel augue laoreet rutrum faucibus dolor auctor.

0 comments:

Post a Comment